Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Big Snake Rant

imagePython.

I'm having to use Python at work. I used it maybe 10 years ago and it was pretty bad then. You know what, it's still a pretty bad language. Before you get your knickers in a knot let me explain why.

First off, there are still positional aspects to the language. Years ago I spent literally days trying to track down a 'syntax error' only to find that I didn't put the first line in the correct column. That problem seems to be corrected but there are still 'syntax errors' based on indent. Seems you can't use different indents in your script or the Python will barf.

I used to use a lot of positional languages when I wrote for the mainframe but you know what, that was twenty years ago. Get with the times Python.

Next, the actual language, kind of C-ish but not quite. Very confusing if you are used to coding C or Javascript. I think if you are going to make your language that close, you might as well make it work identically. Syntaxes that are too close confuse programmers and lower productivity. Much like the French hate learning Spanish. Que Domage!

Lastly, what the heck does it do that you can't do in any other languages? I don't see anything that I can't do in C, or Java, or VB even. If you're going to comment then please explain this one to me.

So I think the reason people use this is because it's not Microsoft, it's open source and it's free. Mostly because that's the only reason that's somewhat reasonable and still left. Well, good on ya Python, give us what we've paid for.

No comments:

Post a Comment